The RAeS Boscombe Down Branch is excited to announce the return of our annual Joe Morrall award, to be held virtually on 7th March 2023. First established in 2010, the competition is named in memory of Joe Morrall, who enjoyed a long and distinguished career as an aeronautical engineer and scientist at MOD Boscombe Down.
Open to anyone under the age of 30, the award gives young professionals an invaluable opportunity to develop communication skills through researching and discussing any aerospace-related topic which interests them.
This is a prestigious award, recognised by both the Boscombe Down Branch and members of the senior leadership team within QinetiQ, some of whom will be present on the day. It is therefore an excellent chance to develop professional skills and win a great prize: for 2023, this is a £250 Amazon voucher*! The winner will also be put forward for the Royal Aeronautical Society’s N E Rowe Award, which is awarded for the best lecture given across all branches of the society.
*Prize details TBC, currently same as 2022 competition.
Competition entrants will be judged on a short technical presentation (15 – 20 mins), which will be given virtually via Microsoft Teams on Tuesday 7thMarch 2023. The presentations can be devoted to any aspect of aeronautics, space and associated topics and will be followed by a short Q&A with a panel of judges.
Further details on the competition will be provided here in due course. Due to the winning presentation recordings now being required as part of the N E Rowe judging process, these will not be made available to view after the event.
Participants will benefit from:
- Developing presentation skills with a knowledgeable yet sympathetic audience
- Receiving feedback and coaching on presentation techniques from mentors and an experienced panel of judges
- Gaining relevant and accountable CPD experience
- An excellent opportunity to network with senior Branch members and members of the QinetiQ leadership team
- The opportunity to take part in the national N E Rowe Award competition
- The opportunity to win a £250 Amazon voucher!
How to Apply
Please email BoscombeDown@aerosociety.com for more information and to be sent the Joe Morrall Award application form. We look forward to hearing from you.